Before his imprisonment, Rinpoche received many transmissions and empowerments from many non-sectarian great masters of Tibet both in the Bon and Nyingma traditions. These masters except one have already passed away.
He said before he got imprisoned, there was a way for him to leave Tibet. But he didn’t want to do it. As his father passed away two years before, he couldn’t leave his monastery and his people. 21 years in prison is not a short time. Thinking about Rinpoche’s experiences and the suffering he went through, I got encouraged and inspired to do the best I can for the Stupa and other dharma activities. The hardship I have experienced is just tiny and insignificant.
Among Rinpoche’s teachers include:
1. Kundrol Dragpa Hungchen Drotu Lingpa Rinpoche. He was Rinpoche’s father and root guru. Hungchen Rinpoche was one of Rainbow Body Achiever Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen Rinpoche’s main students. Hence, Rinpoche often said that Shardza Rinpoche was his root guru too. Rinpoche is a holder of Hungchen Rinpoche lineage which belongs to the New Bon tradition. In this tradition Guru Rinpoche and his family consisting of his father Trenpa Namkhar and his elder brother Tsewang Rigzin from Zhang Zhung are regarded as the most important deities. There’s a saying: Sangje kyi thugkyi tempe nyerbon chempo meaning “(Both father and sons are) the owners of the teaching derived from the Buddha’s mind”.
There’s a prediction that Hungchen Rinpoche was tulku or reincarnation of Trenpa Namkhar. His lineage came from Kundrol Dragpa who is derived directly from Buddha Tempa Sherab.
2. Thutop Namgyal Rinpoche (still alive). He taught Rinpoche to recite Tibetan texts when Rinpoche was 11 years old. Presently, Thutop Rinpoche is representative of Shadza Rinpoche at Shadza Hermitage. He’s 80 some years old.
3. Lodro Gyatso Rinpoche (another main teacher). He was Shadza Rinpoche’s former representative. He taught Tibtan to Rinpoche as well as led him on ngondro practice. He gave Rinpoche the teaching of Shadza Rinpoche’s scriptures, the Yidam Sekha Chognga, Magyud, and Athrid as well as the teaching of the Thab drug “Six Liberation Ways” such as tunmo or inner heat practice, dream practice, bardo practice, phowa or transference of consciousness practice, illusory body practice and clear light practice. He also taught Rinpoche on Dzogchen, namely Zhang Zhung Nyangyud, Yangtse Longchen, Dragpa Kor Sum, Manngag Kunzang Nyingthig. He also taught Rinpoche on Rigzin and Kandro Sadhanas as well as various sadhanas on outer, inner and innermost practices. Among these practices the special ones include inner yoga and Kandro Sangdzod’s Oser dark retreat. After the teachings, Rinpoche stayed in a dark retreat and many auspicious signs happened.
4. Geshe Tshutrim Wanggyal Rinpoche. He gave Rinpoche transmissions on the Bonpo tripitaka scriptures and commentaries. In particular, he gave Rinpoche transmissions, empowerments, and teachings on Dechen Lingpa’s scriptures of around 100 volumes, Rigzin Kundrol Rimchon’s scriptures and terma texts as well as the complete Kundrol lineage teaching. He also gave Rinpoche transmissions, empowerments and teachings on the Tantra of Six Wrathful Deities Chipung Drowo Gyud Drug, the Tantra of Three Buddhas, and the teachings of Athrid, Dzogchen, and Nyangyud.
For 5 to 10 below, I’ll write about their teachings tomorrow.
5. Shungsray Yundrung Dudul Rinpoche.
6. Drangsong Senge Nyima Rinpoche.
7. Lathri Gyalwa Yungdrung Rinpoche.
8. Dratrul Drimed Oser Rinpoche.
9. Drotrul Rangzhin Thogmed Rinpoche.
10. Jangtrul Khewang Rinpoche.
11. Shezhen Kongtrul Yonten Gyatso Rinpoche. He gave Rinpoche oral transmissions, empowerments and gave instructions on Ju Mipham Rinpoche’s sungbum (scriptures), Longchen Nyingthig, and the teachings by Jigme Lingpa, Tetak Lingpa, Pema Lingpa, Karma Lingpa and Chogjur Lingpa.
12. Shezhen Rabchampa Rinpoche. He taught Rinpoche on the Rinchen Terdzod, important scriptures which include all the practices in the Nyingma tradition.
13. Shezhen Khenpo Gangshar Rinpoche, Lodro Rabsal Rinpoche, and Bodtrul Rinpoche. They gave Rinpoche transmissions, empowerments and teachings on the texts Chojug and Khajug, as well as Guru Rinpoche sadhana.
14. Tshophu Dolo Rinpoche. He gave Rinpoche a transmission, empowerment and teaching on the Longchen Nyingthig.
15. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. He gave Rinpoche a transmission, empowerment and teaching on Guru Rinpoche sadhana.
We are so fortunate to have Rinpoche with us in Thailand. Trusting in him, we will receive blessings from all of his teachers.